Wednesday, May 12, 2010


Well my Canucks are finished! Even though he's a huge Canucks fan, my husband is actually relieved. He no longer has to put up with me talking about Shane O'Brien.

Now that my chances in the hockey pool are also finished, I have lost a little interest in sitting through all these games. That means one thing, I can now get back to some serious "me" time activities. Starting with some baking.

So, as promised here is my recipe for Starbucks Oat Fudge bars.

Oat Fudge Bars

2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup butter, plus 2 Tbsp
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups quick cook rolled oats
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsps vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a pan slowly melt chocolate, 2 tbsp butter, condensed milk. Stir occasionally. Watch it carefully. (Do not go outside to yell at your kids and forget that you are melting chocolate and sugary milk....it will probably burn to the bottom of your pan....don't ask how I know that....I'm just guessing)

In a mixer cream butter and sugar until well mixed.

Add eggs one at a time, and then vanilla

In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda and oats.

Combine flour/oat mixture with the butter mixture.

Press 2/3 of oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1 inch baking pan.

Spread chocolate mixture over oat mixture.

Dot remaining oat mixture over the chocolate layer

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Chocolate will still look moist.

Cool on a wire rack

Cut into 2 inch squares.

Next time I may add a bit more butter.....I mean it's butter, so more is always better. They didn't turn out quite as moist as Starbucks bars, but still very yummy and absolutely will satisfy any chocolate craving you may have. Oh, and they are full of oats....so that means they are actually healthy....so you can eat lots!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment