Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Alright, so I have so much to get caught up on here.

First, my shopping trip last week cost me $247.  So that meant $47 over budget.  Not good.

I have to say though, in my defense, that there's been some pretty tasty meals served around these parts this week.

The braised beef.....big hit!!

The mexican chicken....big hit!!!

I will share those recipes with you since they are worth sharing.

I have also been hitting the craft room lately.

I have made a Halloween mini-album.  Which I will show you and explain how, plus provide a wonderful link over at the Ali Edwards website (have I mentioned how much I love her?)

Also a great idea for an Advent Calendar...that doesn't involve chocolate.

I know what you are thinking.  How dare I speak such words.  Doesn't involve chocolate?  What is wrong with me????

Seriously though, this year I wanted to do something more meaningful.

What I had decided to do was make little envelopes out of Christmas paper, and fill each one with a little task for the boys to do each day.

For example,  visit Santa, or bake cookies, or donate toys, or go skating or create a Christmas story to read at bedtime.

Just little notes from me, to get the boys doing something to build a memory or perhaps create a new Christmas tradition.

Just like magic as I was planning my idea for this Advent Calendar, Ali Edwards created a download to make the little cards, in which you just have to write your task.

So much to tell you!!

Here goes the first thing.

Recipes for Jam Thumbprints and Whipped Shortbread as promised.

Jam Thumbprints


1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 granulated sugar for rolling
Jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat

In a medium bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth

Beat in the flour until it resembles crumbs.

Roll (squeeze) the dough into 1" balls and roll into granulated sugar.

Place 1" a part on the baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and make an indent in the middle of each cookie (use your finger tip or the end of a wooden spoon).

Return the cookies to the oven and bake for 8 minutes more.

Remove to a cooling rack.  Once cooled, fill with your favorite jam.

Thanks to Sugarcrafter for the inspiration and recipe


Whipped Shortbread


1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine all ingredients and beat for 10 minutes

Drop onto a cookie sheet using a teaspoon.  I piped mine onto the cookie sheet using a piping bag with no tip.

Bake for 17 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges.

These cookies melt in your mouth and are quite delicate, and so delish.

I mean, butter and sugar.....how can you go wrong!!!


After 12 years of making these for my husband, he finally told me this year that he doesn't like them.

But thats just him, he's odd like that!!!

Anyway, I like them and the cook always wins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment